Sunday, May 9, 2010

Rants: The Console Wars


So I got into an argument yesterday that I not only should've known better than to get into, but one I didn't WANT to get into and found myself in it anyway. Upon playing the new Super Street Fighter IV, which I really enjoy, a friend played and nearly immediately dismissed it as garbage because M. Bison's moves are not completely identical to how they are in Marvel vs. Capcom 2. It began as defense for the game - convincing to try other characters, counter-arguing with valid points, and so on. The problem is, an argument cannot be handled validly with a drunk man who "knows" a ten year old game is better because of one character's moveset. The defense ended up turning into pointless insults about each other and the games we were each defending - my excuses were that he had to have assists to win his battles because he couldn't do good enough on his own, and his excuses were that my mind couldn't "comprehend" a battle with more than one person at a time. Forget the fact he can't handle TvC while I can, and that I can play Brawl teams tournament style, can play Starcraft with multiple people (which I'll do my thoughts on the Starcraft II beta when I get the chance to play it), and one of my all-time favorite games is Team Fortress 2, which can become sixteen against sixteen.

My point of this article is not to slam my friend, because honestly shit like that didn't need to be said to one another. It is also not to insult Marvel vs. Capcom 2, because the game is a fun game and I have no issues with it personally. I'm merely mentioning this because as I had this argument with this drunken friend, it only reminded me of one thing, one thing that I've hated for years more than anything else, and that I still manage to find myself stuck in constantly: the Console Wars.


I couldn't have said it better myself...

Let's start by saying that I TRY to have a non-biased opinion in the Console Wars. It's really fucking hard when you don't own all three systems, which I hope to remedy someday, but I still try. And there's NEVER a winner until a system or company completely dies off. We'll miss you, Dreamcast...

Let's get down to business though. I'll go over hacks and burns to each console that I hear the most, and not only attempt to counter point it, but further prove that these fanboy debates are completely fucking ignorant, and yet grown men STILL get into them constantly.


XBOX 360


"XBox sucks! They have so many problems, especially the Red Ring of Death!"

Many systems have issues. Sure, the RRoD is among the worst in gaming history, but it's not like this was the first time a system has ever mass malfunctioned. Look at the Playstation 2. I knew people that couldn't have theirs on the floor because they'd overheat, they'd have to elevate one side with a book or something in order for the disc to read, there were countless laser problems and disc tray problems, and then there were memory card problems that would either cause data to erase randomly or wouldn't save data at all. And then when the slim models came out, the additional power box in the first shipments would ignite and catch fire, burning up living rooms across the nation. I've yet to see an Xbox or Red Ring do that.

"I'd never get one, because they don't have (insert random franchise) on it!" or "I hate Xbox, why do they have to get (insert random title) too?! It belongs on PS3!!"

So what if XBox doesn't get Metal Gear Solid 4? There's plenty of other titles it's gotten, and plenty that weren't given to the PS3, like the first Dead Rising (though the rival console IS getting the sequel). The only worse argument is bitching about a title going from exclusive to multi-platform. Really? You're bitching because more people get to enjoy Tekken 6 or Final Fantasy XIII? Why are you fucking complaining? Because they should've shelled out extra money for the same console as you to enjoy it? Grow the fuck up!

"The 360 controller sucks!! The D-pad is atrocious!"

I understand the D-pad on the 360 is not good for fighting games. The PS3 controller is better for fighters, but the 360 controller is FAR better for shooters. Besides, most of you fighting game kids just buy the arcade stick anyway, which NO LONGER USES A D-PAD AND INSTEAD USES A JOYSTICK, WHICH THE 360 CONTROLLER HAS IN A BETTER POSITION THAN THE PS3 CONTROLLER DOES!! Fucking ignorant!


PLAYSTATION 3


"The PS3 doesn't have ANY good games on it!!"

News flash, this just in: Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance, Killzone 2, Uncharted, and LittleBigPlanet, to name some off the top of my head, are no longer considered "good games."

"The PS3 only steals technology from (insert source)!"

This is NOTHING new. Nintendo created the N64 controller with analog stick, and then later added the Rumble Pak. Sony "stole" both ideas with the Dualshock controller, adding both features. Nintendo created a first party wireless controller using radio waves instead of infa-red, the Wavebird. Sony uses Bluetooth as its first party version of the same controller. Fuck, even shoulder buttons were used by Nintendo first. Now, the Playstation Move controller, looking like a near DIRECT version of the Wii remote, which Sony also took ideas from with the Sixaxis controller, using the tilting technology of the Wii remote. While this is nothing new, this same approach can be said of Microsoft, as the 360 controller has shoulder buttons, rumble, analog sticks, wireless capability, and will be using Project Natal for motion gaming, though the concept is much different from Nintendo and Sony.

"There's no backwards compatibility in the newer models!"

Nothing before the Playstation 2 had backwards compatibility. Stop being spoiled. While it's a luxury, it's not a necessity, and you can get a PS2 for cheap if you really need to play your PS2 and PS1 games again, even though we both know that you won't touch them again.



WII


"The Wii is for babies!"

Say that while playing MadWorld, Resident Evil 4 and Umbrella Chronicles, No More Heroes and its sequel, Dead Rising, Dead Space Extraction, and Mortal Kombat. Those are just a few M-rated titles, that's not including other gems like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, the Metroid Prime Trilogy, Muramasa, Punch-Out, Okami, and Zelda's Twilight Princess, and that's just the beginning.

"The graphics are awful!!"

Good games aren't based on graphics alone. PaRappa the Rapper and Rhythm Heaven are a few examples. Sure, it may not look as nice as the 360 or PS3, but find a game on either system that can rival Super Mario Galaxy or Super Smash Bros Brawl in fun, nostalgic, replayable, and easily remembered and I will likely call you a liar. There are plenty of great games on all three systems, no matter how they look.

"The motion control is stupid!"

Can't really complain too much about that since the PS Move looks almost identical to a Wii Remote with a light bulb on top, and Natal will move to full body motion play. The PS3 also already had the Wii's tilting controls. It's something you're gonna have to live with, buddy.



Now, I didn't even GET into PC gamers and their elite abilities to shun the console crowd, because at times they can be even worse than console fanboys, but this is just an example of what I constantly hear, and what I get sick of not only explaining and defending, but of getting caught up in the whole mess to begin with. And it's been around for generations: PS2 vs. Cube vs. Xbox. PS1 vs. N64 vs. Saturn. SNES vs. Genesis. We've been hearing it for two decades, and sadly it's something we'll NEVER hear the end of...

War... War never changes...

No comments:

Post a Comment